Respectful Exorcism: The Ghost Who Needed a Nudge

In 2009, I went with some monks to a house that had been haunted for four years after a man died there.

The occupants reported that cupboard doors would open and close on their own. A light dimmer would adjust itself. A strong smell of hospital chemicals remained in the bathroom. And, a relative of the deceased was slapped on the butt by something unseen.

After we did some chanting, I gave a talk to the departed man (who apparently hadn’t really departed), telling him that the living occupants were afraid, and explaining how clinging is painful and letting go is happiness.

A few days later, I asked the woman who invited us there about the situation, and again weeks later. Both times, she reported that things had turned fine.

Interesting, isn’t it? I like this way of dealing with spirits: with respect.

Note: This is not an advertisement for exorcist services.

Comments

Popular Posts in last 30 days

How to Meditate if You Have Mental Illness

6 Ways You May Have Misunderstood or Mis-practised Buddhism

What You Might Not Know about Jhāna & Samādhi

The Importance of Being Yourself

How to Free Yourself from Unwise Thoughts

How Open Awareness Meditation Leads to Ending Suffering

How to Reduce ADHD Symptoms Through Meditation

Why Sunday Dhamma Schools Can’t Help Your Children Become Better People, and How You Can

A Monk’s Airport Predicament